During the fall my kids beg for me to start making chili. Usually my son request it year round, and he eats it so I make it. I’ve decided to share this recipe with you. This can also be made in a slow cooker after the beef is browned and drained; you can just throw it all in on low for 6-8 hours!
What you’ll need:
- 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef (I sometimes use two)
- 1 can of kidney beans-rinsed and drained (15oz)
- 1 can of Black beans rinsed and drained (15oz)
- 1 can (10oz) of Diced Tomatoes and Green chili’s (mild if you don’t like spicy)
- 1 Bottle of Vegetable Juice (128oz)-you may not use the entire bottle
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 2 cups of celery (diced)
- 2 cups of Green and Red peppers (diced)
- 2 teaspoons Garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons or more to taste of Chili powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons Cumin
- 3 teaspoons of Oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For toppings -Mexican Blend Shredded Cheese, sour cream and Tortilla Chips
Start to slowly add vegetable juice. I usually use about 3/4 of the bottle to the consistency I like, you can use more or less. Stir once you have enough in.
Add all your spices and taste. You may want to add more chili powder or more cumin, oregano or garlic to your liking.
Bring to boil and then simmer on low for at least an hour or longer until vegetables are soft -stir regularly. Your cooking time may vary.